This is the perfect place to start. This complete course is designed for beginners like you who have never managed a WordPress website (or any website for that matter).
With this course, you don't need to actually pay for hosting to practice with WordPress. I'll provide you with a free temporary site so you can practice and follow along.
WP Manager Program
Price: 1,000 + GST
Location: in-person sessions in Burnaby | Zoom video/screen sharing
Schedule: One 4-hour in-person interactive training. Five 1-hour training sessions via Zoom, plus email support over 5 weeks.
6 Projects: Directly Applied LIVE Interactive Training.
- Learn how to build your own beautiful website using WordPress.
- You will learn how to design pages, menus, sidebars, footers, and create a professional and modern website.
- Add video from Youtube to your pages.
- Learn how to add images to pages and posts.
- Learn how to find and install themes.
- You will know how to find and install plugins.
- You learn how to back up your WordPress website in case of emergency.
- You learn how to set up email opt-in forms throughout your website.
- You learn how to increase social sharing of your posts and pages with free plugins.
- You will know how to set up comments and contact pages, while blocking spam.
- You will know how to speed up your website with caching plugins.
- You will know how to make your website secure and protected from hackers.
Upon completing this program you will feel confident in your ability to update and manage your website or your company's website.
Plugins You Will Learn To Use
Google Analytics Dashboard
Google XML Sitemaps
Floating Social Icons
Contact Form 7
All in One Security
Grading and Certification
There are 6 projects of equal weight. Each will be graded for both quality and implementation.
30% of the total course mark for project quality and 35% of the total course mark for project implementation. They will be graded as they are submitted.
There will also be a final exam quiz worth 35% of the total course mark that covers how to set-up and manage a WordPress website.
The three sets of marks will be compiled into a letter grade and a certificate will be issued.
Six Steps To Becoming a Competent WordPress Manager
Module 1 - Introduction to WordPress
- Navigating the WordPress Dashboard
- Installing a New Theme
- Creating Pages
- Creating the Navigation
- Introduction to the Setting Area
- Introduction to the Media Library
- Understanding Widgets
- Understanding Menus
Module 2 - Adding content to WordPress
- Add Content to Pages
- Create Blog Posts
- Add Video to Pages and Posts
- Add Images to Pages and Posts
- Insert Links
- Add the Navigation
- Design Sidebars and Widgets
Module 3 - Essential WordPress Plugins
Plugins are like small software systems that integrate with WordPress. Example: Contact forms, social media share buttons, and caching systems to speed up your website load time.
- How to Find, Install, and Activate a Plugin
- Back Up Your Website - Automatically and For Free
- Secure Your Website to Prevent Hackers and Malicious Files
- SEO Plugins that Help Your Site Rank in Google Search
- View the Analytics of Your Site
- Social Media Sharing
- Speed Up Your Website with Caching Plugins
- Block Comment and Contact Form Spam
Module 4 - Design a Professional Website That Works
- How to Design a Home Page that Works
- How To Design a Service and Product Page that Works
- The Start Here Page (aka About Page)
- A Contact Page
- The FAQ Page
- Privacy Policies & Terms and Conditions
Module 5 - Blogging Like a Pro
- How to Write Epic Blog Content - that People Will LOVE
- Set Up Your Permalinks - to Make Your Site More SEO Friendly
- Using Tags & Categories - THE RIGHT WAY
- Scheduling Posts to Go Live Later On - Great for Batch Producing Content
Module 6 - Important WordPress Tips and Tricks
- How to Update WordPress Itself
- Editing Images to a Custom Size Right in WordPress
- Easily Add a Google Map to Your Website
- Add a Slider to Your Website
Joe Griffith has worked in digital technology since the early 2000's. Since 2008, he has taught 100's of people how to become competent managers of WordPress.
This will not be some dry boring course…you’ll have loads of fun while you learn new and cool tools to create your website!
Joe answered one question for me that made it worth more than the price of admission! I have already recommended this course to others and will continue to do so 🙂
~ Shannon Tressel
There’s lots of information on WordPress out there, but it can overwhelm the newbie. Joe offers good help and information that can help them navigate the WordPress world. There are no ‘dumb’ questions here. Joe was informative and giving of his time and expertise. Every time I go I learn more, which helps my bottom line.
~ Joe Stela
Joe was awesome! He is very knowledgeable with WordPress and does a great job explaining it to new users. I learned a lot from this one session.
~ Arvin Jimenez
I would like to thank you for having had the opportunity to attend your WordPress course. The wealth of material covered was astounding. The material was well prepared and the presentation pleasant, well structured and engaging.
The class was clearly enjoyed by all participants and we walked away a lot ‘wiser’!
~ Gabriele Flint
This was a great opportunity to learn what word press is about. Even though it touched the surface, for new users it gave a lot of insights how WordPress works and what it has to offer. Even though we could have gone for the whole day, Joe did an excellent job of covering the major points in creating the word press site. Furthermore what was unique he offered each student his or her own site to experience on while he introduced the different features.
~ Eric Berthoud